By Erin Penny, Certified Concierge Care Advisor
We all have an opportunity to change the mindset of people young and old and help move them from a place of fear to a place of hope. Healthy aging is a holistic approach to life centered around the mind, body, and soul. Fulfilling these needs at a fundamental level is the groundwork for healthy aging. The following 10 tips for healthy aging can be implemented at any age.
1. Be active. Maintain or start an active, healthy lifestyle. Make physical movement a part of every day. Regular exercise can include walking, gardening, stretching, taking the stairs and strength training, such as using light weights or resistance bands. Studies show that people who exercise not only live longer, but live better.
2. Eat well. Increase the number of fruits and vegetables while decreasing sodium and serving sizes. The more colorful the plate, the better!
3. Practice Prevention. Ensure the home is a safe environment free of tripping hazards to avoid falls that can be detrimental to healthy aging. It’s also important not to neglect those annual vision, dental and health screenings to stay on top of any health changes.
4. Understand your health status. Advocating for your health is your responsibility. While family members and caregivers should be aware of your health status, taking the lead to manage your medications, following up with your doctor and following your health plan is a vital component of healthy aging.
5. Get enough sleep. The body must rest in order to rejuvenate. Developing a schedule or bedtime routine to regularly get 7-9 hours of sleep per day is critical to successful, healthy aging.
6. Cultivate relationships. Stay connected with the people who matter. It’s important to have a support system and social network. Staying socially engaged has been shown to keep the mind active. Use technology like Skype, FaceTime, or social networks to maintain communication and visits with friends and family.
7. Engage your brain. It is important to continue to use your mind as you age. Research shows activities that keep the brain active may delay memory decline that leads to dementia. These activities could include reading, writing or doing crossword puzzles. Never stop learning. You’re never too old to learn.
8. Reduce stress. Aging and the changes it brings can cause stress, which may lead to anxiety and depression. A dedicated focus on the good, and understanding your stress triggers are key ways to identify and mitigate stress. Find healthy ways to manage stress. Whether it is exercise, journaling or seeking professional counseling, it’s crucial to know how you can successfully relieve stress.
9. Use your time productively. Make time for the interests you enjoy, both individually and socially. Scheduling these activities will ensure they are done. Volunteering can be a powerful way to engage the mind and soul.
10. Embrace aging. Aging is something no one can avoid or run from. Embrace the process and tune into your thoughts and emotions. Ensure they are positive and affirming. Focus on what you can do instead of any limitations you may have.
Don’t let implementing these 10 healthy aging tips overwhelm you! Start small by adding one of two of these tips to your regular routine and more as your mind, body and soul are ready.