By Mary Cordova, EVP at Concierge Care Advisors
“On average, healthcare providers clean their hands less than half of the times they should. On any given day, about one in 31 hospital patients has at least one healthcare-associated infection.” (CDC)
Handwashing prevents illnesses. There are five steps to washing hands (Wet, Lather, Scrub, Rinse, Dry). Regular handwashing before and after certain activities is important and that is the one best way to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and prevent the spread of germs to others.
Washing hands is very important. It is the best way to protect yourself and your family from getting sick. This is what is recommended from the CDC as to when to wash your hands. Per the CDC:
- Before, during, and after preparing food
- Before eating
- Before and after caring for someone at home who is sick with vomiting or diarrhea
- Before and after treating a cut or wound
- After using the toilet
- After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
- After blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
- After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste
- After handling pet food or pet treats
- After touching garbage
Washing your hands is easy and the five steps are:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water and apply soap
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers and under your nails
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds (sing the happy birthday song from beginning to end twice)
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them
If you are unable to hand wash, carry with you, and USE HAND SANITIZER!
Being mindful during the Corona Virus risk as well as regular flu season may help prevent spreading the disease. When you go to the grocery store, use the hand sanitizer sheets often provided to wipe the cart handle as well as your hands. You can also simply carry a pack or bottle of sanitizer with you so that when you are in public places where a restroom is not readily available, you can easily keep your hands clean.